Velvet Swimming Crab
Scientific name: Necora puber
Size: Up to 10cm across the shell
Colour: Brown with blue markings and bright red eyes
Habitat: Rocky shores, under rocks or in crevices
- Sometimes known as a “Devil Crab” due to its red eyes.
- One of the more aggressive crabs, so if it shares a bucket with another animal it might attack it.
- Their back legs are wide and flat, like paddles and can be used for swimming.
- They eat lots of different things, such as sea snails, other crabs and even seaweed.
- Like all of the crabs, they shed their armour when it gets too small.
Photo credit: Paul Naylor