Common Hermit Crab
Scientific name: Pagurus bernhardus
Size: Up to 2cm long on the shore, can be much larger in deeper water
Colour: Orange body, living in shells of different colours
Habitat: Rocky shores, under rocks or in rockpools
- Have an armoured front and legs but the back section is soft.
- The soft behind is protected by a dead sea snail shell, which is carried by the crab.
- They choose a shell of the colour that matches their surroundings.
- They are quite territorial, so if two share a bucket they may fight and injure each over.
- They eat mostly dead animals and sometimes filter small animals or plants out of the water.
Photo credit: Paul Naylor