Scientific name: Actinia equina
Size: Up to 5cm across
Colour: Most are red (but can be found in shades of brown or green)
Habitat: Rocky shores, almost anywhere
- Anemones use stinging cells on their tentacles to catch small fish and other animals.
- They have soft bodies so if you poke them you could injure them.
- Like other anemones, they have blue beads at the base of their tentacles with even more stinging cells, which they use to fight other anemones.
- When out of the water, they retract their tentacles making them look like blobs of red jelly.
- Anemones can move slowly by gliding along their base, or by detaching and moving with the current.
Photo credit: Paul Naylor